by Tony Chen
The first quarter of 2011 proved to be a busy one for the FDA. We saw a deputy commissioner resign, a chemist charged for insider trading, a couple of big consent decrees, a big cancer drug approval, a big no-news on social media guidance, and more. Here’s our wrap-up of the key developments.
General and Organizational
- Deputy Commissioner resigns (WSJ 1/5/11)
- FDA Tobacco Advisor Resigns for personal reasons (WSJ, 1/5/11)
- FDA launches “FDA basics for Industry” microsite (FDA, 1/6/11)
- Barack Obama: Towards a 21st-Century Regulatory System (WSJ, 1/18/11)
- FDA approves Allegra sale without prescription (WSJ 1/26/11)
- FDA pitches 33% budget increase (MassDevice, 2/15/11)
- FDA’s facebook page grew past 6,000 fans, growing at about 1,000 new fans per month.
- FDA delays providing guidance on social media (again) (MM&M, 3/30/11)
- FDA chemist charged for $3M insider-trader scheme; Puts internal control of key FDA system in spotlight (WSJ 3/31/11)
- FDA: Pharma drags feet on fast-track cancer drug studies follow-up (FiercePharma, 2/9/11)
- Hamburg says biosimilars rule coming soon (RAPS, 2/24/11)
- FDA approves billion-dollar cancer drug from BMS (Seeking Alpha 3/28/11)
- FDA yanks 500 unapproved cold/allergy meds (FiercePharma, 3/3/11)
- FDA allows cheaper version of Makena to stay on the market (WSJ, 3/30/11) (side note: K-V has since slashed their price 55%)
- FDA unveils 25 initial 510(k) changes (McGuire Woods, 1/21/11)
- FDA continues to look at re-classifying medical devices (FDAzilla, 2/22/11)
- FDA publishes final MDDS rule – signals stronger enforcement (FDAzilla, 3/22/11)
- ReGen to FDA: thanks, but no thanks (PRNewsWire, 3/28/11)
- FDA clarifies Class II “special controls” medical device guidance (MassDevice, 3/28/11)
- FDA clears Abbott’s wireless handheld testing system (MassDevice, 3/29/11)
Food & Tobacco
- Historic Food Safety Bill signed into law (Food Safety News, 1/5/11)
- FDA will monitor food from Japan (WSJ 3/17/11) Some foods imported from the nuclear plants have been banned (WSJ 3/23/11)
- FDA criticizes menthol cigarettes (WSJ, 3/19/11)
- FDA looking at artificial food dyes (WSJ 3/29/11)
Manufacturing and Consent Decrees
- FDA announces “Current Good Manufacturing Practice Quality System Regulation” approved by OMB (Federal Register, 1/12/11)
- FDA planning more outsourced inspections for international facilities (Bloomberg 2/10/11)
- Triad Group’s tainted wipes – FDA new about issues for years? (MSNBC, 2/22/11)
- Huge Consent Decree for McNeil (FiercePharmaManufacturing, 3/14/11)
- FDA official: Overseas manufacturing puts U.S. at Risk (FiercePharma, 3/15/11)
- Consent Decree: Terumo Cardiovascular Systems (FDAzilla,3/23/11)
What developments from the FDA impacted your business the most?
Make sure you keep up to date with FDA data. Use FDAzilla’s search tools on the latest on Drugs, Devices, FDA 483s, MAUDE, and more. Sign up for our monthly newsletter here.
Learn more about how FDAzilla can help you achieve your quality and inspection preparation goals: get 483s, Inspector Profiles, Enforcement Analytics, and GMP Regulatory Intelligence.